Baseball-like game played with larger ball on a smaller field
- Softball was invented in Chicago in 1888 at the Thanksgiving Day celebrations after the Harvard/Yale football game.
- The original "softball" was a rolled up boxing glove.
- The original bat was a broom handle.
- It was initially an indoor game.
- The game got its name in 1926.
- George Hancock is credited as the game's inventor for his development of ball and an undersized bat.
- The 1933 tournament Chicago World's Fair has brought the game to limelight.
- The Amateur Softball Association of America governs the game in the United States.
- International Softball Federation regulates rules of play in more than 110 countries.
- The first British women's softball league was established in 1952.
- Softball has been played in every summer Olympics since 1996.
- The United States Softball team won the gold medal at the 1996 and 2000 Olympic games.
- Over 5.9 million girls from ages 6 to 17 play softball.