Rafael Nadal Facts
Spanish professional tennis player
- Rafael Nadal was born on 3 June 1986.
- He lives with his parents and younger sister Maria Isabel.
- Nadal has won six Grand Slam singles titles, and the 2008 Olympic gold medal in singles.
- Nadal began practicing tennis at the age of 3. At 5, his uncle Toni became his coach.
- His uncle Miguel Angel Nadal is a football star. Nadal has tried football and has made 100 goals in his local junior league.
- Nadal gave up football to tennis because his coach asked him to make a choice between the two.
- Nadal won his first junior tournament at 8. He became Spanish and European champion at 12.
- His Rafa Nadal Foundation uses sport to help underprivileged, handicapped and socially excluded people.
- Nadal and rival Roger Federer have met each other in 7 grand slam finals.
- 128036 Rafaelnadal is a Main belt asteroid discovered in 2003 at the Observatorio Astronomico de Mallorca, Spain and named after him.
- Rafa is his autobiography. It written with assistance from John Carlin and was published in August 2011.