A pen made from a flight feather of a large bird
- Quills are popular writing instruments before the invention of the dip pen.
- The hand-cut goose quill is still used as a calligraphy tool.
- Quills provide sharp stroke as well as greater flexibility than a steel pen.
- Goose feathers are commonly used. Swan feathers are considered premium.
- Quill pens were used to write the Magna Carta and the Declaration of Independence.
- A quill knife was the original primary tool used for cutting and sharpening quills, known as 'dressing'.