Michael Jordan Facts
Former American professional basketball player, entrepreneur, and majority owner of the Charlotte Bobcats
- Michael Jordan was born on February 17, 1963 in Brooklyn, New York. He is the fourth of five children.
- He attended the Emsley A. Laney High School in Wilmington where he began his athletic career. He tried several sports apart from basketball at school.
- In 1981, Jordan earned a basketball scholarship to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he majored in cultural geography.
- National Basketball Association (NBA) termed him as the 'By acclamation, Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time'.
- Jordan joined the NBA's Chicago Bulls in 1984.
- He holds the NBA records for highest career regular season scoring average (30.12 points per game) and highest career playoff scoring average (33.45 points per game).
- In 1999, he was named the greatest North American athlete of the 20th century by ESPN, and was second to Babe Ruth on the Associated Press's list of athletes of the century.
- He was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009.
- Jordan also starred in the 1996 feature film Space Jam as himself.
- He played on two Olympic gold medal-winning American basketball teams.
- He is one of the most marketed sports figures in history.
- Nike created a signature shoe for him, called the Air Jordan.
- His yearly income from the endorsements is estimated to be over forty million dollars.
- He proposed to his long time girlfriend, Cuban-American model Yvette Prieto, on Christmas Eve, 2011 and is engaged to be married.
- In 2012, he listed his Highland Park mansion for sale.