Gautama Buddha Facts
Founder of Buddhism
- Gautama Buddha's birth name is Siddhartha Gautama
- He is the founder of the religion called Buddhism.
- Buddha's father King Suddhodhana was the leader of Shakya clan
- His mother is Queen Maha Maya. She was a Koliyan princess.
- Gautama Buddha was born at Lumbini, in a garden beneath a sal tree when her mother was on her way from Kapilavastu to her father's kingdom
- Siddhartha was brought up by his mother's younger sister, Maha Prajapati
- Siddhartha married Yasodhara when he was 16. Yasodhara gave birth to a son Rahula.
- Siddhartha spent 29 years as prince in Kapilavastu
- Siddhartha left his palace when he was 29 to learn about the world, despite efforts by his father to shield him from learning about human sufferings.
- Legends say that Siddhartha's cousin Devadatta tried to assassinate him more than once.
- Hindus believe that Gautama Buddha was an avatar of the god Vishnu.
- Chinese Taoist-Buddhists believe Buddha to be a reincarnation of Lao Tzu
- The exact date of the birth of Gautama Buddha is unknown. According to historians, Buddha was born in 563 BCE or 623BCE at Lumbini, Nepal.
- According to historians, Buddha died in 483 BCE or 543 BCE in Kushinagar when he was 80 years old.